Google search engine
HomeNewsTen Civilians, Including Seven Children, Killed in US Drone Strike in Kabul 

Ten Civilians, Including Seven Children, Killed in US Drone Strike in Kabul 

Drone strike in Kabul

On Friday, the United States military admitted that they killed 10 Afghan civilians—including seven children—when they ordered a drone strike to kill Islamic State terrorists on a car in Kabul in a previous month.

A complete change in position occurred in the space of a few days when the Pentagon first said that the Aug. 29 strike was justified. The military officials said civilians had been accidentally killed, but had managed to block the Islamic State militants. Army General Mark Milley, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has even declared the strike “righteous” as recently as last month.

Even though the area in question was known to be heavily populated by militants, Central Command concluded that civilians were hit and that there was a “imminent and active threat” in the area. The general in charge of all U.S. military operations in Afghanistan, Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie, accepted responsibility for a “false target” incident, in which a car identified as containing hostile militants was struck by a guided missile, even though it was really a Toyota Corolla, one of the most common vehicles in Kabul.

General McKenzie’s comments only made it more complicated for the United States to get out of Afghanistan, because the U.S. withdrawal was happening in the midst of a collapse of the U.S.-backed government and army, which prompted a frantic U.S. airlift to evacuate Americans, other foreign citizens, and Afghan partners. In the middle of a mass evacuation of over 200 Afghans, Islamic State militants planted a bomb that killed 13 U.S. service members.

Recognition of the botched airstrike has raised questions about the possible shortcomings of future American counter-terrorism measures in the country. Military officials have promised that they can monitor, detect, and interrupt terrorist activity in Afghanistan without having any personnel on the ground there, although their strategy involves having US troops deployed far away on bases, to which militants have no access. It has been said that getting information from the ground will reduce the efficacy of intelligence and counterterrorism work.


A statement was initially released saying that on August 29, a drone had hit a vehicle carrying explosives in a residential area of Kabul, a city that the U.S. military was evacuating people from to prevent another imminent attack.


Residents of the area stated that an Afghan aid worker and as many as seven children had been killed, instead of the one suspected militant that the American military was seeking.


Emal Ahmady, who said he worked as a translator for an American company from 2011 to 2014, has revealed that his extended family was devastated when five children were killed. He has talked about it in interviews after the attack.


It’s reported that Mr. Ahmady’s brother just pulled his car into the yard of the family home when the children crowded around to greet him. A neighbor reported that this happened as his siblings were playing outside. Adults also witnessed the incident, according to Mr. Ahmady.

My neighbor explained that it caused a deafening noise.
“Everyone wants to be in a car, or near one,” Mr. Ahmady explained.
Mr. Ahmady’s brother-in-law, Zaki Hanifi, who went to a funeral to say goodbye to other family members, said that most of the people who died were horribly burned or mutilated. “Only four of them could we identify,” he added.


Following the suicide bombing attack, there were several warnings about the possibility of future attacks. Following the third day after the attack, the attack was carried out.


U.S. officials have stated that the American armed forces were moving civilians from the airport after receiving intelligence that an apparent car bomb was headed there. It’s possible for a car bomb to cause even more damage and casualties than a suicide bomber.

There was no attack on an airport that day. The 20-year U.S. involvement in Afghanistan was brought to a close the day after the U.S. finished withdrawing its service members.
General Milley publicly confirmed the casualties, but he nevertheless praised the operation.


Have there been additional deaths?” Yes, many have been murdered. They are strangers to us. “Let’s give it a shot,” he said. “We’re fairly certain the strike was warranted, as things seem to have been done according to procedure.”


General Milley stated on Friday that they were confident they had identified the right target and were only hoping for confirmation. “However, after a more thorough investigation, we discovered that innocent civilians were killed,” he added.
“This is a tragic event from war,” General Milley said in his statement, “and it’s horrific and heartbreaking, and we’re dedicated to being totally open about what happened.”


It was believed there were no civilian casualties at first after the strike.
Some days later, defense officials reported their belief that children had run to the car just before the Hellfire missile hit it, citing evidence of an explosive device in the car.


Officials won’t say anything about the identity of the militant they were attacking.
The U.S. military launched an internal investigation immediately after the strike.
There’s uncertainty about whether Gen. McKenzie will mete out any disciplinary measures as a result of the investigation. The Pentagon announced that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin had requested a review of the investigation in order to determine whether or not anyone should be held accountable.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments